Monday, November 12, 2012

Confessions of a lazy wife.

This is going to be a brutally honest post. I've always been the type to start a New Year's resolution a little ahead of time. And if I share my aspirations I feel a little less likely to give up on them easily. I've always believed it is better to write from the heart, so this may be a little embarrassing.

Some of my very few regular readers (hi best friend!) probably already know this about me. For those that don't, I am a not a very good house keeper. It's just not in my genes. It was definitely in my mother's genes...she can create a chore chart, organize a bookshelf, and whip up dinner for 8 all at the same time. She's like superwoman with an organizer and phone with her at all times. This annoyed the ever living daylights out of me when I was a teen. I just wanted my stuff left alone, and to not always have to be doing something productive. I'm sure my piles of "organized clutter" and never made bed were annoying to her as well. When I got my own place, I cherished my new found freedom to not have to clean my room every Saturday. I became a pro at cleaning an entire apartment in the hour before guests came over(especially my mother).

Now I'm older, wiser, and wishing I had a magical laundry elf to keep the piles of towels and clothes away from my living room loveseat. You know your best friends by those who mercifully pretend it's not there. It's a little harder to clean an entire 4 bedroom house and backyard last minute. Don't even get me started on how many times I've tried to organize my craft/guest room. My project list is always growing and so does my craft closet with supplies...which has spilled out into the rest of the room and other parts of the house. I'm sure my husband just loves when there is modpodge in the kitchen and boxes of glitter in his man cave. Oh I have the best intentions. I endlessly save cleaning tips on Pinterest and go crazy on the refrigerator every now and then. But when it comes to day to day cleaning, I don't have the faintest idea of where to start. I'm much better at sitting on the couch writing things, or getting up to my elbows in fabric creating things, or being incredibly busy outside of the home. But with three people and a dog living here, housework just can't be ignored for long.

We've come up with a few ideas that we try to stick to, like rinsing dishes and putting them straight into the dishwasher as we use them. But I'm determined to get into a mindset that encourages a clean house(not just a picked up one) and discourages clutter. Ideally I would like to get to a point that I don't face a daunting task of cleaning an entire house in order to have people over.

Wish me luck! I am open to any suggestions or tips. I hope to share anything that helps so stay tuned for that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really proud of you! Ha ha being the nazi clean freak I am I know alot of people say that I cannot understand how hard it is to clean but I believe we all have our "demons". One tip I can give you is try not to do everything all at once. One day pick a pick to clean and focus on that room that way you are not overwhelmed. Once that room is clean all you have to do is really "maintain" it. No one is perfect and don't think for once you ever have to be :) You are loved!

    ReplyDelete